In 2010, American Express created Small Business Saturday in response to small business owners’ most pressing need: getting more customers during the busy holiday shopping season. Celebrated on the Saturday after Thanksgiving each year, this year on November 25, Small Business Saturday helps shine a light on the small, independent businesses that keep our communities thriving. Even more consumers and communities like New Orleans are coming together to support all types of small businesses. With just over one week to go until the 8th annual celebration, 86% of shoppers said that Small Business Saturday inspires them to go to small retailers and restaurants that they haven’t been to before, or wouldn’t have otherwise tried according to the results from the Small Business Saturday Consumer Insights Survey, released today by the National Federation of Independent Businesses (NFIB) and American Express.
The survey also found that:
- Awareness of Small Business Saturday ahead of the day hit 61% – an all-time high
- Of those familiar with the day, eight-in-ten (82%) plan to shop small on Small Business Saturday
- Three-quarters (75%) of consumers plan to visit one or more small businesses as part of their holiday shopping this year
- Nine-in-ten (90%) consumers say Small Business Saturday has a positive impact on their community
A sampling of the day’s activities in New Orleans are below.
StayLocal + Roux Carre
- Location: 2000 Oretha Castle Haley Blvd, New Orleans, LA 70113
- Time: 12 PM – 6 PM CT
- Details: This year, StayLocal is partnering with Roux Carre to spread enthusiasm on Small Business Saturday by hosting a Small Business Saturday pop-up at Roux Carre. On November 25, there will be food vendors, live music, drinks, and pop-up shops from local small businesses.
Additionally, throughout the day, StayLocal is giving away some local lagniappe by hiding American Express gift cards in several local businesses. Follow @staylocal_nola on Instagram to see where to look! Visit staylocal.org for a list of Small Business Saturday festivities and deals going on throughout the city.
Art’s Council New Orleans
- Location: Palmer Park: S Claiborne Ave, New Orleans, LA 70118
- Time: 10 AM – 4 PM CT
- Details: On Small Business Saturday, Arts Market New Orleans will host over 140 arts-based small business owners in scenic Palmer Park. With free entry, live music, food vendors, and activities for kids, this Small Business Saturday event will be quite the destination for uptown holiday shoppers.
Indies First: Garden District Book Shop
- Location: Garden District Book Shop: 2727 Prytania Street, New Orleans, LA 70130
- Time: All day
- Details: The Garden District Book Shop is celebrating Small Business Saturday as part of Indies First. The bookstore will have authors on-site, holiday treats and more.