The Women’s Professional Network (WPN) of St. Bernard held its first mentor event at Chalmette High School — Working Toward Your Goals — to discuss goal setting and achievement with 30 female juniors and seniors.
The idea for this event started at a WPN coffee social when Committee Chair Lisa Borne Kott asked attendees for ideas about what the group would like to accomplish this year. The overwhelming response was to mentor the female students at Chalmette High School, helping these young women to grow personally and professionally.
Kott then partnered with Elizabeth Dauterive, the CEO of St. Bernard Chamber of Commerce, and Aleen LeBoeuf, the CTE Coordinator for St. Bernard Parish Public Schools, to plan the event.
“The St. Bernard Chamber’s Women’s Professional Network loved spending time pouring into our next generation,” said Dauterive. “The women of WPN enjoyed sharing career path experiences and assuring the students that it is okay to change course. We are already looking forward to doing more of these events in the future.”
The keynote speaker was Désirée Young, Chief Market and Business Developer at VentureWalk. Using a ball, binoculars, and microphone as props, Young stressed elements to keep in mind when developing and working toward a goal — flexibility, vision, and articulation.
Following Young’s address, students were put in small groups and spoke with mentors, discussing individual goals and how to best achieve them.
Joining Young as Mentors in this inaugural event were a number of community and business leaders:
- Nikki Bartholomew, Business Service Representative, TriParish Works
- Christy Chapman, Business Owner, LePerie’
- Diane Jackson, Director of Curriculum, The Slone Group
- Kimberly Keene, Hospital Administrator, St. Bernard Parish Hospital/Ochsner Health
- Lisa Borne Kott, Attorney, Tabary & Borne
- Katherine Lemoine, St. Bernard Parish School Board Member, and Associate Vice Chancellor, Nunez Community College
- Carole Mundt, Assistant Principal, Chalmette High School
- Julie Rexford, Director of STEAM, Nunez Community College
- Lara Schultz, Realtor, Reve Realtors
- Angel Shulterbrandt, Realtor/Co-Owner, Dreux Perry & Co Real Estate
- Jeanne Wehlen, Managing Partner, DTS Direct
The purpose of the Women’s Professional Network is to provide opportunities and resources for professional women and female business owners to connect, network, and build key relationships essential to the growth and diversification of the business community of St. Bernard. Visit the St. Bernard Chamber of Commerce website to learn more.