As Louisiana approaches the peak of hurricane season, the St. Bernard Parish Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness encourages you to take precautions to protect yourself, your family, your pets and your property in the event of severe weather. Below are helpful reminders for your emergency planning:
A. Create an Emergency Kit
- Have essential supplies
- Check prescription and non-prescription medicines. Maintain at least a three-day supply.
- Place important papers in a portable, waterproof container to carry with you.
- Driver’s license or personal identification
- Social Security card
- Proof of residence (deed or lease)
- Insurance policies
- Birth and marriage certificates
- Stocks, bonds and other negotiable certificates
- Wills, deeds, and copies of recent tax returns
B. Make Preparations
- Have a personal evacuation plan. Modify it as needed.
- Protect your home and valuables
- Prepare for electrical outages. Charge cell phones and keep them nearby.
- Keep home and vehicle chargers with cell phones.
- Prepare for special medical needs
- Prepare for pet and service animal sheltering
C. Stay Informed
- Closely monitor the weather. Sign up for weather and emergency alerts at www.sbpg.net
- Follow Us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/StBGov and Twitter at www.twitter.com/StBGov