As St. Bernard Parish Government continues to monitor the Coronavirus (COVID-19) closely in conjunction with local and state partners, the St. Bernard Parish Council on Aging announces closure.
Today, the St. Bernard Parish Council on Aging announced it will be closed from Monday, March 16thuntil April 13th, 2020. The Board of Directors, along with the COA Director, Ms. Susan McNeil, have agreed to suspend COA activities in an abundance of caution to protect St. Bernard Parish seniors. Lunch meals will continue to be offered for pick-up only to Registered Clients, between the hours of 11:30 am – 12:30 pm. Lunch meals must be ordered by 1:00 pm on the previous day. Due to the fluid nature of this pandemic, plans may be adjusted as needed.
At the moment, local leaders are confident in their ability to respond to any local outbreak. However, the biggest concern based on the CDC’s most recent data is the potential exposure to our Senior Citizens.
All residents 60 and older, should take the below steps recommended by the National Council on Aging to help reduce potential contraction:
- Keep space between yourself and others
- Tell friends and family to not visit if they are sick
- When in public, limit close contact and wash your hands often
- Avoid crowds (gyms, restaurants, grocery stores, etc.)
- Avoid cruise travel and non-essential air travel
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Have extra medication on hand to eliminate trips to the Pharmacy
- Stock up on non-perishable food items to minimize trips to stores
- Monitor food and other medical supplies as needed and create a back-up plan
- If you live in a shared living facility, avoid common areas
Any resident feeling sick should seek immediate medical attention at their nearest health care facility. Please follow sbpg.net, the social media pages and Press Releases for updates.