Due to the recent extreme cold weather, our automated heating system at our water treatment plant malfunctioned, causing leaks. Out of an abundance of caution, we will be feeding just Chlorine into the system for roughly 1 week.
- Customers may experience some discoloration or cloudiness and possibly detect the odor or taste of chlorine. If this is experienced, please run the water through the tap until it clears
- The water is safe to drink throughout this process
- Boiling water is NOT necessary
- Customers that use tap water for kidney dialysis at home should properly monitor their process for complete neutralization of disinfectant residual
- Customers using water for aquariums should monitor the chlorine residuals
- The change in treatment is expected to last approximately one week
If you have any questions or issues, please call 504-271-1681.