Seniors at the end of each school year gather together in the Chalmette High School Cultural Arts Center to be honored in front of their peers, parents, and faculty. Earlier this week, nearly 80 seniors received awards and scholarship money for their outstanding achievements inside and outside the classroom.
While all of the scholarships and awards are outstanding, a few of the awards given were of particular prestige.
For the third year, a National Merit Finalist was recognized at the ceremony. Kenny Nguyen is one of some 15,000 seniors nationwide to be recognized as one of the nation’s most promising students.
Four students received the prestigious Posse Scholarship – a four year, full-academic scholarship valued at approximately $150,000 per student. The four students who received the award are Kaya Lawrence attending the University of Notre Dame, Hailey Marshall attending Case Western Reserve University, Michael O’Neal attending Illinois Wesleyan University, and Austin Mankin attending Tulane University.
The Arlene and Joseph Meraux Charitable Foundation annually supports the graduating class with scholarships to further their education. This year the foundation gave 60 scholarships for a total gift amounting to $240,000.
School Board Member Katherine Lemoine thanked the foundation and said, “The Meraux Foundation’s generosity is incredible. We are so grateful for their continued support. Their contributions help us ensure our students succeed within their formal academic upbringing as well as in their future endeavors. Thank you.”
Award/ Scholarship Recipient
- Business and Professional Women’s Club Scholarship – Brooke Gagliano, Kaya Lawrence
- DAR Award – Kenny Nguyen
- St. Bernard Republican Women’s Scholarship – Callie Elisar
- Firefighters Association Awards – Nikki Nunez, Bryce Ducote
- Trudy Foret Science Award – Daniel Thompson
- Candy Zeairs Mathematics Award – Ahmad Alkurd
- Blood Center Life Saving Awards – Rahkim Bell, Gisselle Carvajal, Marissa Tenorio
- Tulane Book Award – Hiep Nguyen
- Ethel Pourciau/SBH Memorial Scholarship – Kelli Conrad
- Kurt Rodriguez Memorial Scholarship – Dante Ramirez
- Joseph Accardo Scholarship – Kenny Nguyen
- Betty Polk Moody Award – Megan Gernon
- Al Waller Memorial Award – Jared Florane and Brandon Rodriguez
- Joseph J. Davies, Jr. Scholarship – Courtney Saulsman
- St. Bernard School Board Members’ Scholarship – Nicole Maradiaga
- Voices Foundation – Kaitlyn Sciambra and Austin Mankin
- CHS Alumni Association Award – Ethan Schmidt
- St. Bernard Retired Teachers’ Scholarship to Nunez – Luis Morales
- National Merit Finalist Scholarship – Kenny Nguyen
- High Flying Owls Awards – Hunter Bell, Brooke Gagliano, Callie Marshall, Louai Nassar, Katelyn Pitre, Christopher Voss
- Posse Foundation Scholarship – Kaya Lawrence, Hailey Marshall, Michael O’Neill, Austin Mankin
- Golden Owl Awards – Sarah Melerine, Shelby Christmas, Dhuha Darweesh, Kaya Lawrence, Roshard Hooper, Kenny Nguyen, Brandon Shepherd, Savanna Montoya, Courtney Saulsman, Emily Pulley
Meraux Foundation Scholarship
Sarah Hogan, Roshard Hooper, Brandon Rodriguez, Renee’ Vazquez, Alyssa Alfonso, Ahmad Alkurd, Bryce Barrilleaux, Rahkim Bell, D’Angelo Bingham, Gisselle Carvajal, Brett Combel, Kelli Conrad, Jason Cook, Elizabeth D’Antoni, Harley Davis, Callie Elisar, Jared Florane, Megan Gernon, Alayna Grabert, Azizah Hinnawi, Hannah Holden, Jordyn Hollingsworth, Jermaine Jiles, Davon Kimble, Kaya Lawrence, Tony Le, Arden Le Blanc, Alexandra Maag, Austin Mankin, Nicole Maradiaga, Hailey Marshall, John McElroy, Macie Michalik, Savannah Montoya, Jewel Morgan, Kenny Nguyen, Kevin Dan Nguyen, Cole Nicosia, Michael O’Neill, Tiffani Poteet, Kassidy Potter, Emily Pulley, Courtney Saulsman, Ethan Schmidt, Tausif Siddiqui, Alex Siragusa, Marissa Tenorio, Daniel Thompson, Harriona Tyler, Larren Vinot, Danton Vu, Cody White, Joshua Williams, Lily Zwank, Cassidy Couture, Thomas Frey, Gregory Gonzales-Landry, Eimy Alicia Jasso Mendez, Carl Treitler, and Kendriane Williams.